Thursday, January 2, 2014

A New Friend and a Confirmation

It felt only a little strange that I was sharing such personal insights with this person I was really just getting to know for the first time. 

I first met this person (I'll call him James) at a night kickball activity. He had joined the Church and I had wanted to talk to him for a while but hadn't gotten the opportunity. I just started talking to him after the activity, and he seemed approachable. I offered to let him read my conversion story to the Church to see if that would help him with his transition. It did, and the next Sunday we had our ward feast.

We sat at the same table with my girl friend. James seemed to not beat around the bush. I thought it was safe sharing about my personal journey with him. I told him that it seemed I had learned things spiritually. I had investigated the Church and gone on a mission and have come to know things for myself. I have gained a personal testimony. But what about the world? How do I live in it and stay true to the truths that I have already learned? Are these spiritual truths that I have acquired really absolute truths? Do they apply to the rest of the world? How do I experience the wisdom of others and have my own experiences and then compare them with what I have learned in the Church? I told James, "I just want to know what's truly real for my life." Then the Spirit came to me and made me emotional. It was this same Spirit that has given me confirmations about other points along this road. My girl friend put her hand on my back as I composed myself. James seemed to know what I meant.

I feel like James has a unique perspective that can give me a new insight into this journey. He is definitely optimistic about me achieving my dreams, and I value his opinion. I will seek to learn more from him on this slow but steady journey towards finding my place in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment