Monday, January 27, 2014

Gonna Be Some Changes Made

On Saturday I move in with my new roommates. They're in a house, and I get a single bedroom. I'm not planning on taking much stuff with me, and I'm only going to stay there for three whole months. 

I had an interview last Monday for an editor/translator position at a language school in northern Peru, near Chiclayo. The interview was via Skype. I thought it went well, though there was always the awkward pause for the delay in technology. I seem a little overqualified for the position probably in their eyes, but the rep said that they could find something for me to do that suits my skills. They are going to be busy with a new marketing campaign, so I'll stay busy. Anyway, she was going to get back to me in 2-3 days, which was Thursday at the latest. I didn't hear from them, and I didn't think it prudent to email on the weekend. But today I got an email:
"We have talked extensively about your application and decided to accept you as an intern. Your qualifications and experience as well as, and this is quite important in our opinion, your person as such convinced us. Welcome to the team!"
Woot! I got a job in Peru! Feel happy for me if you aren't already!

So now there are steps: I need to first accept the position. I need to learn more about the visa situation and decide if I am going to tour the country first or last. I need to get documents to submit. I need to tell my parents after I move out.  I need to research more about the country and things.

Here are some other details of the position:
  • Unpaid internship
  • 40 hs/wk, 8 hs a day.
  • Work assignments include translating texts, including brochures, flyers, job postings, updating the Facebook page, and other things.
  • I have free access to activities available to the language students regularly, including salsa dance class, Peruvian cooking, and BBQ.
  • I can live at the school in the student dorms for free or stay with a host family in the same city. Three meals a day, no utilities, less than $300 a month.
  • Usually, volunteers stay for 3 months, and interns stay 6 months, but it depends on the person. Most people stay about 3 months.
  • If I want to stay more than 3 months, I'll have to get a work visa, which is a process. But since I want to visit more than one place, I would want to stay more than 3 months. It takes 2-3 months for the visa to be processed. The school would help me with the process.
  • Weekends are off, and they plan excursions every other week to other cities in the northern region
Time to get going with the next step of my life. I am thankful to Heavenly Father for guiding me on this new path to my purpose, courage, confidence, experience, ups and downs, independence, learning, and love.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment