Friday, December 30, 2016

Faith for a Moment

While travelling north, I stopped at Cove Fort. This is a roadside historical attraction in Utah on the way to Salt Lake City. The fort was used as a safe haven for travelers, post office workers, and telegram operators during the Black Hawk War from 1867 to 1897. Brigham Young, the prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at the time, asked Ira Hinckley and a few other men to build the fort as part of a church service mission. Within an hour of receiving the letter from the prophet, Ira and his family were packed and ready to go south.

But Mr. Hinckley would not have been able to leave in such a hurry if he had not spent countless hours tuning his will to the Lord's, studying His word, and following and trusting the counsel of His prophet. All the preparation beforehand was needed for this quick but powerful act of faith.

I have come to Utah for a new chapter in my life. I have come from California. I have felt like this is a good time to leave and dedicate myself to living in another place. I was singing this morning:
It may not be on the mountain height or over the stormy sea,
it may not be at the battle's front my Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice He calls to paths that I do not know,
I'll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine: I'll go where you want me to go.
No, my impression to come to another state did not come in a letter or as directly to Ira Hinckley. They were small impressions. I did get one clear impression when I came to visit in September that I should be here, but I haven't received much instruction since then. I don't know where to live or what type of job to get. And  maybe that's what needs to happen; maybe I need to choose for myself, and the Lord will make adjustments. But after singing this song this morning, I am prompted to ask myself, "Where does the Lord need me?" not "Where do I need to go?"

He has not left me alone, but I must seek His counsel. I will be told in small pieces, one at a time, where I need to be and what I need to be doing, but that will probably come as I make plans, present them to the Lord, and then execute them. He will not do all the work for me, I must build on the work that has been done in the past. This might be my leap of faith, but it is preceded by acts of faith, and it will be followed by acts of faith.

Well, time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment