Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chapter One: Work Uncertainty

I ultimately got my job from the Lord. 

I went to San Diego for more college after receiving my bachelor's. My degree was in Spanish. I went to San Diego for Spanish translation. I tried to live in San Diego after completing my certificate program. I got a full-time job at a car dealership. It was my first real job. However, they let me go right before 90 days. My boss said he didn't think I was enjoying the work. I wanted to plead with him to let me keep my job like I have pleaded with my boyfriend for him to stay when it was really the best thing to let him go. I guess it's a fear of discomfort.

Anyway, without money, I tried to live on credit in San Diego. It doesn't work. I moved home in April 2012 right before my sister's wedding in California. When we came back from the wedding, I didn't know how to get a job. I didn't have much experience, though I've had many short odd jobs. 

I took the Career Workshop from the LDS Employment Center. Most of all, they gave me confidence. The main thing I learned from the workshop was to network with people I know. After trying for a while, I finally sent out a mass email to all my contacts asking them for resources. I got a call from my parent's church friend who knew the executive director for a small non-profit. I got hired.

This job has been just what I needed. I am able to put the skills I already have to good use for the benefit of the organization. But it is challenging enough for me to learn new things: receptionist skills, time management, customer service, prioritizing, deadlines, accountability, the importance of reports and reporting, company hierarchy, communication, and courtesy.


But this job might be ending soon. We're not getting enough money in. We hired a consultant with not much non-profit experience to expand the program and try to get more money in. He told me on Friday that he's taking a job that starts before his consultant contract ends. This spells bad news for our fundraising efforts. I might not have a job past the end of March.

And that doesn't bother me that much.

Because I've been feeling a call. A call to get things done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment