Sunday, February 9, 2014

los padres

Tonight I told my parents about my decision to go to Peru.

Four of my other relatives had come over in the afternoon to spend time with us. We went on a hike and then came back to the house for dinner. I had told my sister that I would probably tell them tonight. She urged me not to tell everyone at once. I thought that was a good idea. Our DVR of the Olympics was caught up, so after everyone else left and my parents sat down on the couch, I took advantage of the next commercial break to tell them. My mother had known about my Skype interview, yet she didn't know what it was for. I decided to start with that: "So, I had a Skype interview, and I heard back from them recently... I have bought a plane ticket for May 13th to Peru." I went into all the details from there, trying to go in chronological order. My mother stopped me a little way in and went to get a piece of paper to write it all down so she could adequately tell others what my plans would be. My sister had speculated what their reaction would be, and I was a little anxious to hear it once I was done covering all the bases of my trip. My mother--surprisingly--said she thought it was a good thing, but they both agreed I should take a self-defense class and possibly carry a weapon, like mace. I don't know about the weapon, especially with the TSA, but I am willing to take a self-defense class. I took one in college, and it wouldn't hurt to do another one. After all, I would prefer not to get raped or assaulted.

As I was driving home, I wanted to text or call someone to tell them, but I have been more reserved as of late, so I will just tell you. Regardless, I did feel the quite Spirit letting me know that I am still on the right path. That felt reassuring. Thank you, Lord, for guiding me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment