Thursday, January 16, 2014

Spiritual Feast

I went to a state-wide young single adult conference in Phoenix last weekend. It was great. There were so many speakers, including Sheri Dew, Alex Boyé, and others. All the speeches were about us, where we are, our purpose, and most of all, who we are. I think understanding my divine nature is the key to my success and confidence. I will work on that. The Spirit was very strong throughout the conference, and I also got to get my groove on at the dances! 

Saturday afternoon were the workshops. We heard from a Broadway singer/actress, Christeena Driggs, who had many uplifting and go-getting things to say. Though ultimately she wasn't my very favorite speaker, if I had to pick a singular moment in which I felt the Spirit confirm the words of any one speaker, it would be when she quoted Eleanor Roosevelt: 


"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences."

Though it's not put into Gospel terminology, I think this applies directly to me. It makes sense. I could only progress up to a certain point in the presence of our Heavenly Father, and then He sent me to earth to learn. It is certain that there will be hardships in life and things I can't control, but I can't avoid every discomfort and loss, away from what is happening in the world. I can try to prepare and protect myself from things I know will harm me, but many people have lived this life and have stories to tell; I should listen to them. 

Then I should make my own stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment